Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Remembering the "Buts"

I don't know why it is that motherhood has caused me to think of this...it's certainly not something that applies ONLY to motherhood, and it is also a concept that I think all of us have at least heard of before, but not one to which I had given more than a passing thought. Maybe I'm thinking of it now because I am realizing in an undeniable, sharp way how short "life" is...my child is developing normally so far, and passing through stages almost as quickly as I can take each one in! Anyway, I have been thinking about how we can choose what we are dwelling on/how we think about and view our lives. There are always the BUTs...
I don't sleep more than 2-3 hours at a time (sometimes much less) and probably not much more than 4-6 hours a night...BUT...I am able to rest my body during the day, I can take naps, and I can stay in bed as long as my baby will let me right now.
My baby does not like to be put down (I know this is a stage he will grow out of, and probably very soon!)...BUT...I get to snuggle him, smell him and kiss him as he sleeps peacefully on my chest, and he is so happy to be with me (none of these will last either! And don't worry...he practices sleeping by himself at least once a day).
My body still hurts (we have come to the conclusion after conversations with our midwife/doula and my doctor that I almost certainly have multiple torn ligaments and muscles in my pelvis as well as the actual external tearing, due to the speed of labor and delivery. All appears to be healing well, it's just slowing down the timeline for me to feel better and for my body to bounce back)...BUT...we are both safe, and whole, with no major birth or postpartum complications, and next time should be much kinder to my body even if the labor is the same.
Nursing is still pretty painful sometimes...BUT...it is much better than it was, and my baby is getting such adorable rolls and dimples!
It is really hard when Ben is crying or fussing and I can't figure out why...BUT...most of the time he is pretty happy, and we are learning to figure out what is wrong.
 Ben is pretty clingy right now...he really wants his mommy a LOT (I think because I'm the one who nurses him)...BUT...this is also a stage that will pass, probably soon, and he won't always want me to touch him, let alone give lots of kisses on his chubby cheeks. And despite some times when I thought my maternity leave would be 2-6 weeks at most, I was granted almost a full FMLA maternity leave (despite not qualifying for it yet due to having only been at this job for 6 months), so I have been able to spend the last 7 weeks focused on him, and I have 4 more to do the same.
I do have to go back to work full time, at least for now...BUT....we are blessed to be able to live off of just my income, so Ben will have a parent home with him, and his grandma (who is pretty crazy about him) to help care for him when dad isn't available.
Anyway, as I said, none of this is new. It's not a new concept, or a new way of looking at things...it's the tried and true "glass is half full instead of half empty" outlook. But for some reason, I have been thinking about it quite a bit lately. What about you? What things can you look at in either light, and what helps you to focus on the "buts"?
On an unrelated note...if anyone has tips for managing postpartum skin changes (extreme dryness of the face, hands, and feet), please share!!!
Sorry there are no pictures...BUT...I am currently being pinned down by a happily snuggling baby. ;-) Rest assured, he is as cute as ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment