Sunday, November 11, 2012

5 Month Update!

Somehow, when I wasn't looking, my baby boy turned 5 months old! I know they say time flies when you have kids, but I honestly think "they" (whoever this nebulous "they" is) underestimated how fast. I still feel like the mother of a newborn, but in all reality, he is growing up more each day!
New things he is doing:
"Play time" is acceptable. He'll do tummy time or back time on the play mat. He can lift his chest up and do mini pushups when he's doing tummy time, and now that he has figured out how to grasp things and pull them toward him, he is much more okay with being down. Only for short periods of time still (I think he'd be fine with still being held 24/7) but I think his dad appreciates being able to put him down for a little while during the day.
He LOVES his jumper. We're going to blame his cousin Caleb for being a bad influence and making him want the thing! lol! But he will literally jump around in it for 20-40 minutes quite happily. Again, I think Daddy enjoys the free time, and Ben LOVES the lights and music. It's his Christmas present, which I know we gave him quite early-but I figure he's not going to remember Christmas this year anyway, and I want to get the maximum enjoyment out of this thing (kids grow out of toys so fast!). We got it for a great deal, and it's pretty cute...rain forest instead of cousin Caleb's zoo.
He JUST figured out how to roll over on purpose. He's not using it as a form of travel yet, but he can go from front to back and vice versa. I missed seeing it the first time because I was at work (the first of many "firsts" I will miss, I'm afraid!) but have since seen him doing it.
He is ticklish. :-) Like his dad, the left side of his body is more ticklish than the right. His giggles are soooo adorable.
His smile melts my heart. Well, that's not new...but I still love it.
He squeals with delight. Which is awesome except when he's close to your ear! I know this is a stage that kids go through but wow...is it ever shrill!
He is still refusing a bottle and eating more at night to make up for it...so most nights we wake up an average of 4-6 times. Mommy is tired! But he is growing well and seems pretty healthy, so it's worth it. He's still in our bed, and I'm not even going to try to get him out of it until he's eating enough solids to get enough calories that way to make it for longer stretches at night (strange sentence-sorry!).
I truly can't believe my little man is growing up so fast. I feel like he changes so much each day and is growing up and getting more fun each day as well. My heart doesn't know whether to mourn the loss of my tiny baby or rejoice as we see more and more of the person he will be. Ah, motherhood!
Josh and I are doing well. Work is getting busier-I'm about to hire my second therapist. I'm having surgery to repair postpartum complications on November 19th, and I'm hoping to be able to become more active/return to exercise and do more than just survive one work week at a time once I have recovered from that! We are praying that will finally end the incredible pain I've been experiencing for 5 months now. Prayers and well wishes would be deeply appreciated!
 Tummy Time!!!
 He has the craziest hair sometimes...stick straight (and sticking straight up!) when it's dry, curly when wet.
 This smile always melts my heart.
 He thinks drinks are interesting and wants to try whatever Mom is drinking (no, I don't give him Coke Zero...sometimes water, but never Coke Zero!).
First taste of non-milkies as food (he was just licking it...he liked it though...yikes, solids are just around the corner!

1 comment:

  1. It's hard to mourn the loss of them growing up when they are learning new things everyday because it's so exciting, but at the same time it's super sad! Sophia barely fits in her changing table any more- I have less than an inch! She also is becoming verbal and can do things for herself. I can't believe he is already 5 months old! They will be running off to school in no time :(

    ReplyDelete