Monday, February 18, 2013

Ways Being a Working Mom Has Blessed Our Family

I am standing here at work with no patients (it's one of those days where EVERYONE wanted to come in at the same time, so it's literally feast or famine in terms of busy-ness today) and got to thinking that I need to do a post about how it has been good for our family that I have been a working mom for the last 8 months. I think it is way too easy for me to focus on the bad/negative things (and as with anything else in life, there are both positives and negatives to this situation!) like how much of my son's life I am missing, how exhausting it is to stay up all night and then drag myself out of bed at 6:30 AM, etc. etc. But I think that the key to not falling into "sorry for myself" land is a thankful heart and recognizing the blessings where they come, so I am going to make a list.
1. When I am home with my son and husband, I am able to spend quality time with them and focus on our relationships. Because Josh takes care of the house and really spoils me in the domestic "arena" I am able to really be present when I am at home. I think this is an area where I might struggle if I stayed home-always feeling I should be "doing" more (in the house, etc.) but that is not a struggle I have right now.
2. I have no idea how we would have been able to handle all of the many surgeries and hospitalizations if I had been a SAHM and Josh had been working! Especially since my restrictions after the gallbladder surgery and the pelvic floor reconstruction included not lifting >5 lbs for several weeks (and Ben weighs a sight more than 5 pounds!). Because Josh was the stay at home parent, he was able to care for us both during those times.
3. The obvious-we have a roof over our heads and food on our table.
4. I love coming home every day and seeing Ben's face light up when he sees me!
5. I treasure the times when I am able to come home a little early, or take a personal day. All of a sudden, mundane things like housework and playing with Ben are cherished moments! I'm afraid with my personality, I might lose those little joys in the repetition of every day life if I was a stay at home mom.
I don't know if a time will come when I'm not working full time. If it does, I hope I am able to use the lessons I have learned to really make the most of that opportunity. If it doesn't, I am so thankful for a job that is family friendly, a husband who is super supportive, and the simple joys of a baby's laugh/smile. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment